Director of Public Works:
Michael Maloney, PE
400 Powell Road
Columbia, SC 29203
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The mission of the Department of Public Works is to provide a broad range of services and infrastructure in order to help ensure safe and desirable communities for the people of Richland County.
- Maintenance, management, and improvement of the County Road Maintenance System (CRMS);
- County Drainage System maintenance and improvement;
- Solid Waste Management and Recycling;
- Engineering Development review and support;
- Traffic calming;
- County Infrastructure Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs);
- Stormwater quality and watershed coordination;
- Productive employment of an Inmate Labor pool;
- Operation, maintenance, and improvement of the County’s General Aviation Reliever Airport.
Click here to enlarge Department Organization Chart
Fiscal Year 2021 Annual Road Report
This report provides a summary of the ongoing maintenance activities and the projects completed during the period of July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021. Projects in this report were constructed or managed by Richland County Department of Public Works or the Transportation Penny Staffs. This report was received by County Council in their meeting of April 5, 2022.
Roads & Drainage Maintenance
Solid Waste & Recycling
GIS - Public Works