Historical Marker Program in Richland County
Richland County Conservation Commission (RCCC) funds historical markers in an effort to promote the recognition and education of sites, structures, and events of historical significance to the County.
To participate, individuals or organizations must submit a South Carolina Historical Marker Application to the SC Department of Archives and History (SCDAH) with a copy to the RCCC. The SC Historical Marker Program Coordinator is responsible for marker text accuracy and appropriateness while the SCDAH Director has final approval authority of marker texts. Once the text is approved by all parties and submitted to Sewah Studios, RCCC will pay the cost of the marker directly to Sewah Studios. The marker will be shipped to the individual or organization for installation. An unveiling ceremony should be organized shortly after installation. Estimated time from application to installation is a minimum of six months.
RCCC will fund up to five new markers annually.
- Contact RCCC about your intention to apply to SCDAH to understand fund commitments.
- Submit SC Historical Marker Application and fee to SCDAH with copy to RCCC.
- Get landowner permission to install marker. Determine whether marker location will require an encroachment permit from SC Department of Transportation; applicant will pay for any additional costs.
- Submit SCDAH approved text to RCCC for review; RCCC must be acknowledged on the marker as the sponsor.
- RCCC will submit final approved text and payment to Sewah Studios.
- Install marker; organize an unveiling ceremony in coordination with RCCC.
Markers sponsored by RCCC:
1900 Block of Henderson Street
Benjamin Mack House
Columbia Hospital Negro Unit & Negro Nurses
C.O. Spann Medical Office
Congaree River Ferries
Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital
Harriet Cornwell Tourist Home
Matilda A. Evans House
S.C. Confederate Soldiers' Home
Woman's Club of Columbia
Zion Chapel Baptist Church No. 1