The event featured compostable cups for runners, finger foods and fruits that were easily compostable, and recyclable bottled water containers. With help from Keep the Midlands Beautiful and SONOCO recycling, we were on a roll towards a zero waste event. Any event however large or small can be a Zero Waste Event!
Event planning is key to creating a successful zero waste event, just follow these simple tips.
• Identify areas were you can reduce or eliminate waste and then set goals for yourself.
• Use finger foods and serve food buffet-style.
• Use washable tableware, cups, flatware and linens, or compostable dishware.
• Provide incentives for attendees to bring reusable items (mugs, utensils, etc.).
• Seek caterers that can maximize the use of local, seasonal, and organic food and use only recyclable packaging and as little as possible.
• Place several recycling containers strategically at the event beside waste containers.
• Clearly mark containers with large, reusable signs and place small, reusable signs on each table.
• Determine where and how materials will be recycled (i.e., if food waste is collected, where will it be composted, and how will you get it there).
• Develop plans for collecting bottles, cans, food waste, and recyclable paper.
• Buy in bulk, to cut down on packaging and cost.